Sunday, December 13, 2009

My favorite music of 2009



I really enjoyed this year in music and next year is already looking like it will be even better, (did someone say Gorillaz!?!?). My top 15 albums/eps of 2009.


15. Bat For Lashes- Two Suns
      I have a crush on her.
14. Atlas Sound-Logos
13. Blind Man's Colour-  Season Dreaming
      Kinda like Animal Collective's brother from another mother
12.Animal Collective- Fall Be Kind [EP]
11. Grizzly Bear- Veckatimest
      Took awhile for this to grow on me and it still is.
10. Phoenix- Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix
      Took awhile for people to notice this album.  Now it's on every commercial I guess that's not so bad after all.
 9.5 Matt & Kim- Grand

9. Major Lazer- Guns Don't Kill People...Lazers Do
     Diplo+ Switch 
8. Wavves- Wavvves
7.Passion Pitt- Manners
    This album didn't live up to the hype created by their ep but how could it? (They were suppose to be the Beatles from Boston according to some bloggers) , regardless it was a solid effort that I enjoy.
6.  Thom Yorke- FEELING PULLED APART BY HORSES
5.  Miike Snow- Miike Snow
4.  Peter Bjorn and John-Living Thing
       Finally these guys made an entire album that I enjoy plus they put on an awesome show.
3. The Twilight Saga: New Moon Soundtrack
       Yeah, that's right.
2. The XX - XX
       If I have talked to you in the last 5 months I have probably brought this band up.  I go through stages of being obsessed with certain bands for periods of 6 months - 2 years, mid summer I was in need dire need of a new fix.  The XX are the drug I was looking for.  This album oozes sexy lyrics, dub-stepesque drums, lonely guitar solos, and thumping bass lines.  If it were anymore intimate they would have to be called the XXX.
1. Animal Collective-Merriweather Post Pavillion
       I knew it was going to be nearly impossible to beat after the first listen on Christmas day last year. It turned out to be my best present and it was a gift that kept on giving.  Seems like its on the top of nearly everyone's list as it should be, imo. 

Honorable mentions
 in no order


Small Black- Small Black EP
Cotton Jones- Rio Ranger EP
Jonsi & Alex- Riceboy Sleeps
Lil Wayne- No Ceilings (Mixtape)
Clipse- Til The Casket Drops
Raekwon- Only Built 4 Cuban Linx Pt. II
Neon Indian- Psychic Chasms EP
JJ-n° 2
Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros- Up from Below
Beck- Modern Guilt acoustic
Various Artists- Ciao My Shining Star
The Maccabes- Wall of Arms
Girls- Album
Karen O and the Kids- Where the Wild Things Are





No comments: